Saturday, February 2, 2013

Time for the Super Bowl

(Originally written on February 2, 2013)

As I'm sure everyone is aware, the Super Bowl is tomorrow.  It's possibly the biggest cultural event in America.  This year we have one of the most interesting story lines in the game's 47 year history, as the two head coaches facing each other are brothers: Baltimore's John Harbaugh and San Francisco's Jim Harbaugh.  The other day I saw their parents being interviewed on the news, and of course they are very proud parents but their father said that they will purposely avoid being seen on TV during the game.

Now, I thought this was just wonderful.  I don't know why broadcasters are so obsessed with putting players' and coaches' families in the stands on TV after every other play; I find it to be incredibly annoying.  Anyway, Mr. Harbaugh said that he would rather that the focus be on the players and coaches on the field, since this is their big moment.  He talked about how players spend their entire lives preparing for this day: all that time in junior high, high school and college; practicing, studying playbooks, and showing endless determination, just so they could chase the improbable but amazing goal of one day spending three hours playing in the biggest sporting event in the world.

If you know me at all, you know that I am always looking for deeper meanings in things, even in something like a football game.  But it's true; these comments got me to thinking about where I am in my life.  In my nearly 28 years, I've worked really hard and made a lot of decisions, some of which worked out, but not all of them.  But everything that I've done and that has happened to me has led me to this very moment, sitting at my computer on a snowy and freezing cold Saturday.  To work at my job and to face the challenges I currently have, I've needed the experience and life lessons that only can come with time.

I know that I am still relatively young, and I hope that there are many more great things in my future.  What is going to happen down the road?  Right now I have no idea.  But I know that God has a plan, and that at this very moment he is preparing me for it.  One day, I hope to look back on where I was in early 2013 and say, "This makes perfect sense.  I needed to go through all that to get to where I am today."  I've been doing that a lot in the present day, but I know the story is far from over.

So, I hope everyone enjoys tomorrow's game.  But while you're having fun cheering for the Ravens or 49ers, take a moment to think about everything these players and coaches had to do to get to this point.  When you see the winning team celebrate, it's not because what they did came easily or quickly.  Rather, they are celebrating because what they did took a lot of hard work and determination from many people for a long time.  Even in our own lives, anything good takes a lot of time, hard work, and preparation.  If it comes easy, then what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment