Sunday, August 8, 2021

What kind of world are we living in now?

Over the last several days, I've seen lots of memes, statuses, and other posts regarding the whole mask wearing and getting vaccinated thing, and I've seen a lot that I agree with and have been tempted to share. It's just so sad what this world has come to and I felt like I needed to share some thoughts.

Now, I'm not writing this as either a political expert or a medical expert. I'm just an average citizen who is concerned about what I'm seeing. In March of 2020, we shut everything down because we were told that we had "14 days to flatten the curve." Then in July of 2020, at least here in Michigan, we were given a mask mandate and were told that we would knock this virus out in 4-6 weeks. That mandate ended up lasting about a year. It's a slippery slope that we've continued to slide down.

And after all the damage we've done to our society through shutdowns and mandates, it appears - at least we're being told - that we still don't have this virus under control. Even with all these people being "vaccinated," we now have a new "variant" that is doing damage. How could we let an illness inflict so much damage upon our society?

Now, I do believe that COVID-19 is real and that it is a serious issue. However, what has it caused to happen to our society? We're losing our freedoms, and that should concern everyone, regardless of political affiliation. The fact that so many people are just blindly going along with it is alarming.

What happened to our freedom to choose what is best for us and our families? Many people are being forced to get this vaccine or to lose their jobs or to lose many other freedoms that we have taken for granted for so long. This vaccine has been shoved down our throats by the government and the media without knowing what the long-term effects are and whether it really is even effective. If you make the personal decision to get the vaccine, I have nothing against you for that. But to force people to either get it or to lose their freedoms is just insane. I can't be the only one who thinks this.

And as for wearing masks, again, this has been going on for over a year. The science is dubious, at best, regarding whether they actually work, while at worst, wearing them causes many other health problems. Yet even assuming that they do work, how long is this supposed to go on for? Why are we forcing small children to wear them at school all day long? On the surface, they are a minor inconvenience, yet they aren't referred to as "slave muzzles" for nothing. They symbolize our helplessness at the situation we're in.

It's just unbelievable to me what has happened to us. The worst part is that we are so deeply divided over these issues, even accusing one another of killing each other. We're all tired and frustrated, and personally, I'm wondering how much longer all of this is supposed to go on for.

We've done everything we've been asked to do yet are being told that things aren't getting better. We shut everything down, which caused grief to millions of people. We wore masks for a year. People have been getting this vaccine. And now we're still being told that things aren't getting any better. What comes next? I'm afraid to find out.

The good news is that there is hope. Now, every time a new crisis comes up, we always remind each other to trust in God, that He has things under control, but what exactly does that mean? I've been thinking about how that applies to the mess we're currently in, about how we keep being told, "Just do this and we'll knock this virus out" over and over again. First of all, I'm reminded of what a wicked world this is and how all greatness comes from Him. I guess we shouldn't be surprised by anything that this world throws at us.

But what does God ask from us, compared to what our government and media are asking of us now? They keep asking us to do more and more for the good of society, many of their promises turning out to be empty. God only asks one thing of us: to accept Him as our Savior. That's it. He doesn't say, hey, do this, and you'll receive eternal life, then pull the rug out from under you and ask you to do something more cumbersome. Nope. Just trust Him and your eternity is assured.

I don't know about you, but for me, that's a great assurance. I'm choosing not to put my hope in a face mask or a vaccine, but in God. I may have to put up with a lot of terrible things in this world, but I know there's so much more than what we see here. And that's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment