Monday, August 23, 2021

A Good Day at the Old Ballpark

The crowd of nearly 30,000 let out a huge groan. Cubs center fielder Rafael Ortega had the ball in his glove, but it popped out, allowing yet another run to score. The Cubs had scored the previous inning, cutting the Royals' lead to 5-1, and now they gave that run right back.

"I don't understand why we even came today, dad," a ten-year-old boy lamented to his father in the stands. "I don't even know most of the players that are out there right now."

"Son, there's more to attending a game than whether the Cubs win," the father replied. "It's about enjoying the warm summer weather and spending time with those you love."

The boy looked around. The seats that actually did have fans in them were filled with people wearing lots of Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, and Kyle Schwarber jerseys. "I just don't understand why they had to get rid of all those guys. Especially Baez; he was my favorite player. He made so many cool plays. Why did they have to send him to the Mets?"

No one could blame the boy for being upset. The Cubs had lost 12 straight games at Wrigley Field and, with the home team down 6-1, it became all the more likely that they were about to endure unlucky loss #13.

"Well, son, unfortunately baseball is a business above all else. It's good that you learn that now. When I was a kid, I idolized Sammy Sosa. On the day that they traded him to the Orioles, it ripped my heart out."

The boy seemed unmoved. "And what about all those Baez cards that you bought me? What am I going to do with those now?"

"Well, you don't have to get rid of them. You can hold onto them. You can still like Baez. At least you'll have all those great memories of watching him play."

The two turned back towards the field as the conversation paused for a moment, and they blankly stared out onto the field as the Royals added on another run to make it 7-1.

The father tried to turn the conversation in a positive direction. "Son, I wish you could have been around for the great home run chase of 1998 between McGwire and Sosa. The whole country was caught up with baseball fever. It was unlike anything I've ever seen."

"I'll bet that Wrigley was a lot more fun place to be back then," replied the son.

"Oh, it was rockin'. And, I know you're not really old enough to remember 2016 well, but man, this was the place to be. The seats were filled every day. The Cubs couldn't lose. And then..."

"Well, they almost blew it in the World Series, didn't they?"

"Yeah, the comeback. The Indians thought they had it won after they took Game 4. I would give anything to go back and relive those days. I wish you had been old enough to appreciate it, but that's okay. At least we have lots of great memories to look forward to in the future together."

"When do you think the Cubs will be good again?"

"I hope it's soon, son. But we'll see."

The two sat in silence for several more minutes before the son broke in again. "Did you hear that the Cubs will be playing the Reds in the Field of Dreams game next year? Do you think we can go, dad?"

"Well, I'd love to, son. I heard tickets were really expensive this year. Plus I don't know right now whether I'll be able to get it off work. We'll have to see."

It was a hot, humid day in August, with the home team losing big. There were plenty of reasons to be frustrated, but at least a father and son were able to bond and spend some quality time together at the old ballpark.

With the Cubs losing 9-1 in the bottom of the ninth, and much of the paying crowd having departed for the day, the two looked around the stadium, taking it all in. "You know," the dad resumed, "It won't be too long before it will be freezing cold out here and there will be snow covering the field. Let's just enjoy these final moments that we have before we gotta leave for good."

"Thanks for bringing me today, dad."

"You're welcome, son."

No comments:

Post a Comment