Monday, November 6, 2017

My Favorite World Series to Watch

We just got finished watching a great World Series. I was born in 1985, so I've seen quite a few World Series, some better than others. Many consider the 1991 World Series, in which the Minnesota Twins beat the Atlanta Braves in seven games, as one of the best ever. I'm too young to remember that series well, though as I learn about it, I'm sure I would have enjoyed watching if I had been older.

So how would I rank my favorite World Series that I have seen? Here is my top five list:

5. 2011 - St. Louis Cardinals defeat Texas Rangers, four games to three

A World Series that goes seven games is always exciting, and even though I wanted to see the Rangers win their first title (plus I don't like the Cardinals), I still enjoyed this one. Game 6 was the memorable game, as the Rangers were one strike away in the bottom of the ninth. David Freese hit a two-run triple that Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz just missed catching. Then after Josh Hamilton homered for the Rangers in the tenth, the Cardinals were again down to their last strike before rallying to tie it again. Freese homered in the 11th to force Game 7, which the Cardinals won easily. It ended up being the last Cardinals game for legendary manager Tony LaRussa and future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols, who left after the season to go to the Angels.

4. 2004 - Boston Red Sox defeat St. Louis Cardinals, four games to zero

OK, this series was no one's definition of a classic. Game 1 is the only game that was truly competitive as the Red Sox swept the Cardinals. The series was anticlimatic after the Red Sox came back from a three games to none deficit, including extra inning wins in Games 4 and 5, to beat the Yankees in the ALCS. But since the Red Sox broke "The Curse of the Bambino" and won a World Series for the first time in 86 years after so many near misses, it became one of the most historically important World Series of all time. For that, I will always remember watching it. (It didn't hurt that the Cardinals lost, either.) And yes, I'm aware that I omitted the White Sox victory in 2005, breaking their 88-year drought. I just don't like them, that's all.

3. 2017 - Houston Astros defeat Los Angeles Dodgers, four games to three

This series featured two teams that hadn't won a championship in a while: The Dodgers, even with their rich history, hadn't made the World Series since they last won it in 1988, while the Astros were seeking their first ever title. Both teams also won over 100 games in the regular season, so there was lots of talent on both sides. The teams split the first six games, including two of the most entertaining World Series games of all time. In Game 2, the Astros tied it in the ninth, the two teams traded two spots in the tenth, and then the Astros finally won it in the 11th; there were five home runs hit in extra innings. Then in Game 5, the Dodgers scored three in the ninth to tie it before the Astros won in the tenth, with a final score of 13-12. Game 7 was over early when the Astros scored five in the first two innings and cruised to a 5-1 win, but it was a great series and I was happy to see a team win their first championship.

2. 2001 - Arizona Diamondbacks defeat New York Yankees, four games to three

Given that this series took place just weeks after the awful 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York City, the Yankees would have been the sentimental favorite except for the fact that, well, they're the Yankees. Especially since they'd won four of the last five championships and 26 overall, I think the majority of non-Yankees fans would have been just fine with them losing. The teams split the first six games, including two extra-inning wins for the Yankees in Games 4 and 5 that both featured game-tying home runs in the bottom of the ninth. The Yankees were three outs away from winning their fourth straight title before Mariano Rivera had one of his few bad postseason outings, allowing the Diamondbacks to score twice during a rally that started with a hit from my all-time favorite player, former Cubs first baseman Mark Grace. Luis Gonzalez had the game-winning RBI hit to give the Diamondbacks what is, to this day, their only championship. The Diamondbacks had a lot of veteran players seeking their first championship, plus I was tired of the Yankees winning, so I took a lot of gratification in how this one ended.

1. 2016 - Chicago Cubs defeat Cleveland Indians, four games to three

Come on, was there ever any doubt? No matter what happens the rest of my life, this will always be my favorite World Series because it was the first time I got to see the Cubs win, ending their 108-year stretch without a championship. But for baseball fans in general, the story lines couldn't have been better. It featured the two teams with the longest championship droughts (Cubs 108 years, Indians 68). The Cubs rallied back from a three games to one deficit. And Game 7 was one of the most memorable baseball games of all time, going into extra innings before the Cubs prevailed, 8-7 in 10. Yes, I am biased, but looking at this as objectively as possible, it's hard to imagine a series that offers more than this one did.

Dishonorable Mention: 2003 - Florida Marlins defeat New York Yankees, four games to two

We were so close to what would have been the most anticipated American sporting event of all time, but instead we got this dud of a match-up. The Cubs and Red Sox, with their long championship droughts and legendary stories of curses, both had late leads in a potential clinching Game 6 of their respective League Championship Series before blowing it then losing Game 7. I still hate the Marlins for coming back from a three games to one deficit to beat the Cubs that year, while the Yankees again beat the Red Sox to win their sixth AL pennant in eight years. Four of the six games in the World Series were decided by two or fewer runs, but I don't remember many details about actually watching this series because I was so upset over the Cubs losing and the fact that we missed such a great match-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment